Tuesday, March 9, 2010

An Email Interview With Chris Price

Chris Price of WEEI.com, was nice enough to do an email interview with me. I sent him a couple of questions, and below are the answers.

Q:Do you think the Patriots are going to do much in free agency this year?

A:I think they are going to be relatively quiet this season--that is to say, there will be no big splash of a signing. That first weekend, they did what they said they were going to do--take care of their own, getting deals done with Wilfork, Neal and Banta-Cain. Going forward, I think they will continue to try and nail their own guys down (Bodden and Faulk are next on their radar screen), but they will also take a look at the second-tier guys and try and find some value there. We're already seeing things like their interest in in players like Marques Dougals, Alge Crumpler and the like. Expect more of that to continue throughout free agency, especially when it comes to depth at the wide receiver and tight end spots.

Q: Are there any names you think the Patriots will take a look at in free agency?

A:Veterans, guys who have been around the league for a few years. Not sure about specific names right now--it can literally change from hour to hour--but I think they will look into guys out there who may be flying under the radar, guys who people may have forgotten about.

Q:What do you think about Darren Sharper? Would the Patriots be interested in him?

A:I don't think they'd go after Sharper. I think he had an excellent season and will get a nice payday, but at 34, I don't think he's what the Patriots are looking for. They need bodies at corner before safety.

Q:Are there any new rumors? If so what are they?

A:Like I said, things change from hour to hour in this process. On Monday, the Patriots hosted at least three players that we know of (Alge Crumpler, Josh Reed, and Marques Murrell), all news which cropped up relatively quickly. I'd look for them to start bringing in some veteran wide receivers, second-tier guys who might be a good fit.

Q:I know its early, but what do you think the Patriots will do in the draft this year, will they move down like they usually do, will they move up and surprise some people, or are they going to stay right where they are?

A:My gut feelings is that right now, I believe they'll stick with where they are. I have a lot of respect for NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock, and he believes there are between 15-18 DE/OLBs he calls "conversion types", which bodes very well for a team like the Patriots who need help bolstering their pass rush. My overall feeling is that it is a deep draft in areas where the Patriots might need help--pass rushing linebacker and depth at wide receiver, tight end and running back.

No comments:

Post a Comment